When you’re low on funds the last thing you want to do is put together a massive pay-per-click campaign to find more customers for your business.
And you don’t have to!
But if you want to grow your business you have to invest somewhere, whether it’s time or money.
If you don’t want to invest the funds, you have to invest time in organically growing your audience through relationship marketing.
I started working in marketing when I was 15 years old and had a band.
Yep, a Christian Rock band with my four sisters. We pooled our funds together to buy musical gear and also to spend time recording.
We were so excited about recording our first album we spent all our money paying our audio engineer and had none left to duplicate our album.
Yes, those were the days before digital music was huge. We were super siked to hold our album in our hands and share it with friends and family. But we needed $1,000 first.
So what did we do? We launched a direct mail campaign with bonuses and sent out letters to everyone we knew asking them to pre-order the album. In exchange, we not only gave them the album but also a poster and other fun goodies.
Did it work?
You bet, we raised $1,000 in 30 days and had enough to duplicate our album, send posters to everyone who preordered an album, pay for postage and plan a beautiful CD Release Party.
If a bunch of teenagers can do that, you bet you can grow your fan base and make money without spending $900 a month on Ads. (Yep, that’s the recommended amount for Google Adwords and Facebook Ads. If you break it down, it’s not a bad idea at all).
However, instead of investing $$ you need to invest TIME.
Let’s break it down.
Decide what you want and by what date.
- For the band we needed $1,000 in 30 days.
- For my book I wanted 2,000 readers in 60 days.
- For my business I want $6,000 every 30 days.
What do you need? Set your goal. Take action.
Organic ways to reach a new audience and promote your work.
- Create a page and schedule posts to go on it every single day.
- Join 2-3 Facebook Groups in your niche with high engagement and join them. Talk, collaborate, communicate. It’s not about you. Get in there and show up every single day.
- If you are a teacher/leader/growth instigator you may even think of creating your own Community group to drive engagement and conversations.
- Find relevant hashtags to your niche and start tweeting with them.
- Find your influencers and retweet them and share their content.
- Join a Tweet Chat and show up every single week – get involved, chat, make it happen.
- Share your stuff: articles, links, promos, pictures, get the word out about who you are and what you do.
- Follow other accounts and create lists of people you want to connect further with and who can promote your work.
- Pictures are where it’s at – lifestyle images and quotes are huge. Find an account you love and use them as your mentor. Use similar photos and hashtags and insert your personality, make your account your own.
- Post pictures every single day.
- Connect with collaborators – comment on their photos, like what they do.
- And don’t worry so much about the follow for follow and share for share, be generous with what you’re doing, some people will follow and some won’t and that’s okay!
- Connect with professionals and influencers you want to work or collaborate with.
- Reach out to them directly – thank them for connecting and tell them why you connected with them.
- Follow up. The magic is in the follow-up. If you don’t hear back don’t chicken out! Follow up 3 days, 7 days and 14 days later.
- Speaking of following up, there’s nothing smarter than simply reaching out to connect with others.
- Make a list of your ideal clients in your area and start reaching out to them.
- Go to places where they hang out, like local events or Meetups.
- Time to get famous! Just kidding – this times time and work too – sorry! What are you amazingly good at? Talking? Being on video? Interviewing others? Writing?
- Consider different ways to get featured – whether it’s guest blogging, being interviewed on podcasts or reaching out to your local media for coverage.
Now that you know how organic interaction works, let me share the truth about organic interaction:
It’s excellent for:
- Finding your ideal client
- Listening to your ideal client to discover their pain points
- Finding out exactly what your ideal client wants versus what they actually need
But if you want to go big (or go home) – it’s time to step up your game and look at buying traffic. Yep, I’m talking about advertisement. And not just any old advertisement. The best way to spend money to make money is to ensure you are making more than you spend!
Here is how. First off, you need an absolutely irresistible offer that isn’t more than 3 digits. In fact, keep it under $50. Impulsive buying is easy when it’s under $50.
Now, let’s figure out how we’re going to make more money than we spend.
You have an irresistible offer that costs less than $50. Now, let’s say you’re going to spend $10 a day on advertisements. That’s $300 per month.
Still with me? You’re spending $300 every single month which means you want to make $300 or more every single month from your Ads.
Say you’re reaching 1,000 people every single day with your ads. Not bad, right? But only 100 people click to go to your website. Out of those 100, only 10 people purchase your irresistible offer.
Let’s say your irresistible offer is $25 – and I mean this offer is KILLER for $25.
You get those 10 to purchase – you are spending $10 a day and earning $250.
Or, let’s go worst case scenario. You’re spending $10 but only 1 person is purchasing for $25. You’re still making $15 a day and your ads are paying for themselves.
Now, that’s cool and all, but your next task is to create an irresistible offer that people are DYING to purchase.
Remember visibility is half the battle, people aren’t working with you or buying your products because they don’t know about you.
You always have to trade something in order to earn that visibility, either it’s TIME or it’s MONEY.
Which will it be for you?
While you’re brainstorming, go ahead and schedule a brainstorming call. It’s $99. You’ll make it back when you create your irresistible offer and 30 people opt in.
Or you could just keep dreaming, dreaming is an option as well. (I love dreaming, so no judgement here).
Remember, if you want to go fast, go alone, but if we want to go far, go together.
What strategies are you using to find more fans and build relationships?